Tuesday, July 8, 2008

The beginning of my love affair

Do you remember your teachers? Is there one teacher who made an impression on you so much that you remember him/her long after you left school?

I had the good fortune of meeting one such teacher during my schooldays. She was my class teacher when I was in Standard 2 back in the 80’s. If there is anyone I should credit for encouraging my literary pursuits, it should be her.

Mrs Loo was mild-mannered and well-liked by all of us. It was she who brought me aside one day in class and told me that I am a linguist. If she had not done that, I would have followed a different path today. Back then, I had no idea what linguist meant, so the first thing I did when I got home was to thumb through the dictionary to find out what it means. That was to be the beginning of my love affair with books. Ever since that fateful day, I have been “devouring” book after book after book.

To think that all it took was one word.

No comments: