Monday, August 4, 2008

Equality Now! Equal Rights for Girls and Women

As women, are we aware that all sorts of injustices are inflicted upon our fellow sisters around the world each day? Does it pain you to read or hear about human rights violations that these defenseless young girls and women have to endure in the course of their lives?

If you do, you can do something to help. You can join Equality Now, like me, and help fight for rights for girls and women around the world.

Equality Now is an international human rights organization dedicated to action for civil, political, economic and social rights of girls and women around the world.

I have been a member of Equality Now for a good eleven years now. I first found out about Equality Now when I read the book, “Do They Hear You When You Cry?” by Fauziya Kazindja. I was deeply moved by Fauziya’s story and felt that I had to do something to help and joining Equality Now opened that opportunity for me.

I know that I am fortunate to be able to live my life the way I see fit, but I am also deeply aware that other women may not have such a privilege. It’s sad, really, because we each have only one life to live. Who should have a say in how we chose to live it other than ourselves?

Unfortunately for some women, their decision to live their lives could sometimes prove fatal, such as in the case of honor killings where family members kill the girls to erase a family’s shame. Shame can be very subjective because to some communities, just speaking to an unknown male is reason enough for murder.

If you’d like to do your bit to help our fellow sisters around the world, or maybe just to know more about Equality Now, please visit their website at http://www.equalitynow.org/. All it’ll cost you is your time.

2 comments:

The other intern said...

I think that this would be something very appropriate for your website to talk about. Women and girls need to be considered equals in life, and as my story shows, girls can earn the respect they deserve. A very young girls' soccer team played in a league that they dominated. The girls won every game, even against other girls that were older than them. Their coach made a bold move and put them into the boys league. This was met with some criticism, but as the girls did exceptionally well, it made people stop and think about what was fair and right concerning girls and boys. People should not be discriminated against based on gender, and these girls overcame that discrimination. Watch the trailer at www.kicklikeagirlmovie.com www.kicklikeagirlmovie.com> and see what you think.

Sharon said...

Hi! I definitely support equality for girls and women. It was why I joined Equality Now in the first place. I'm well aware that women face all sorts of discrimation whether at home or work especially in some communities and it's my fervent hope that one day all women will be treated with the respect they deserve.