Thursday, June 12, 2008

Tribute to Papa

With Father’s Day coming up this Sunday, I think I should write a fitting tribute to an exceptional man in my life. My Papa is my pillar of strength (the other one being my Mama) and my source of inspiration. I am where I am today because of him and my Mama and for that I am eternally grateful.

My Papa is patient, funny and kind. He is patient when we are upset, funny so we’ll forget the pain, and kind even to complete strangers. He dotes on children and takes care of them as if they're his own.

I am married with my own family now, yet every morning when I arrive at my parents’ home, my Papa goes out to the market and buys me breakfast and newspapers. He is the only man who will not hesitate to drive far and wide just so to satisfy my craving for any food I have at the moment.

When I was growing up and finances were tight in the family, my Papa did not hesitate when I told him I needed books. He’ll dutifully drive me to the bookshop no matter how late it is and buy me the books I needed. If I needed a chore done when I’m busy, I can always turn to Papa and he’ll be more than willing to settle it for me. If I needed a lift somewhere he’ll brave the traffic for me too. I do not doubt that there is anything in the world that my Papa would not do for us. I know he is always there for me so I feel safe no matter where in the world I am.

Now that I have a daughter, my Papa dotes on her too. He picks her up from school everyday and remembers her favourite foods. He also makes sure I remember to pack some food back to my husband everyday and when my husband needed a lift when his car broke down, it is my Papa who’ll drive him to work.

For everything that he has done for me, for us, I am grateful. Needless to say, I am fiercely protective of my parents and will not stand for any disrespect to them. Whomever should be unfortunate enough to be in that situation will have to make it past me. And that is a scary enough thought already.

No one comes even a millimeter close to my Papa. He is a diamond so priceless I am thankful I am blessed enough to have him.

No comments: