Monday, September 1, 2008

Independence

Independence. What does it mean to you? To me it means freedom to make my own choices, freedom to speak my mind, freedom to assert my rights. It is these values that puts life in me. And it is these values that I impart on my daughter each day.

To some people, children are meant to be seen and not heard. Well I say that’s all wrong. They should be heard, and they should be heard loud. They are people just like us, so what gives the adults the right to treat them any differently? I don’t understand some adults. They all demand respect, from the young ones, from the old ones. But they themselves are so unwilling to give due respect to others. Why is that so?

I worry each day for all the battles that my daughter will have to fight when she grows up, simply because she’s a girl. I worry because I know how it feels to be a woman, when society subconsciously ingrains in you that all you are meant to be is subservient. I do not want her to be held back by all these shackles. I want her to be independent to lead her life the way she’s happiest.

It saddens me to no end that some women willingly gives up their independence, their right to happiness. How else do you explain why some women willingly stays in an abusive relationship, hoping against hope that it will change? Do they not know that it is a vicious cycle? That if they have kids, their kids will see and think that this is alright and get into the same cycle themselves when they grow up?

I’ve always believed that it is only I who will be the captain of my destiny. I will decide for myself where my life leads and take responsibility for every single thing that happens to me. I blame no one because whatever that happens, it was because of my decision. To me, that is real independence.

No comments: