Friday, October 17, 2008

Final Exams

It's exam time again. Although our daughter is only 7 years old, you wouldn't believe how difficult the syllabus is these days. It's so tough (at least I think it is) that we have been revising and revising to ensure that she is at least confident enough to sit for the exam. I'm not hoping she'll score As, don't get me wrong. It doesn't matter to me what she scores because after all, she is only 7.
I read in the papers yesterday that the Education Ministry is thinking of adding History into the syllabus for Primary schools. The one thing that came to my mind was, "What? Another subject?". The kids can barely cope with the subjects in Primary right now. They barely have time to breathe coz all the time they have is spent either in school or at home doing their endless homework. And then there is the "do-we-or-don't-we" decision to either change Maths and Science back to Bahasa Malaysia or keep it in English. It's so stressful being a kid these days (also for the parents!) and I wonder if this is the right approach in getting the kids to love going to school.

1 comment:

JoV said...

No. It is not the right approach to get your kids to love school. By nature, kids learn through playing. It's the only way they learn best. I came out from 12 years in school, not better prepared to the working world, but discovered my real learning began when I started working.... Management books, presentation skills, critical thinking, creative thinking, all learnt from work. What did the school taught me? it taught me to rote learning and memorise facts. that's about it. My son is 3 year old, and he goes to school in Manchester, he learns through playing, through singing, through making a trip to Tesco to learn about recycling, to paint, to draw... etc.. Although it's pre-school, but I would like to see to it that he learn by experience, to have those knowledge firmly etched in his mind and not forget them once he left school (like me!) I like my sons at high school to learn about basic psychology, philosophy, sociology, politics, history and civilisation of other nations. The wise chinese saying say: live till old, learn till old. True, I'm still learning about histories of other nations and how it impacted our lives, but I would have prefer to accelerate my learning curve when my juvenile brain was so easy and effortless in absorbing new useful knowledge, in which the Malaysian Education system had deprived me of.