Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Post-natal depression

I'm due to deliver our 2nd baby anytime now. I'm excited at the prospect of meeting the little life that I've been carrying within me for the past 10 months. What I'm really afraid of is post-natal depression. I've had a mild case when I delivered our first child. For weeks after delivery, I would suddenly burst into tears for no apparent reason and felt like the whole world is crashing down around me. The uncontrollable sadness that enveloped me each day scares me to this day. It's the worst feeling in the world because I felt like I'm losing control of myself. For someone who prides myself for always being in control of situations, that is one scary feeling. I wonder if it will happen again this time? Perhaps the first time around I was overwhelmed with being a first-time mother. Perhaps it's trying to adhere to all those nitty-gritty traditions of keeping a certain type of diet, keeping warm etc. I've spoken to my family so that they can keep me in check, just in case. I'm not ashamed of admitting to post-natal depression, if we need help, then we need help. It's just a matter of awareness so that we keep ourselves and those around us, safe.

No comments: